Parade of fallen soldiers + Teaching children in quarantine
Happy Friday, people of Vienna! Let’s start today on an informed note, will you? Here’s everything you need to know around Vienna today.
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Vienna? Our premium local sponsorships keep you on top of inboxes in town every morning. Contact us here for the truth.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Clear all day. High: 69 Low: 50.
Here are the best stories in Vienna today:
- The hearse of a serviceman killed in Afghanistan crossing Fairfax County on Friday (FOX 5 CC)
- Fairfax County teachers seek compensation for teaching children in quarantine (FOX 5 CC)
- Environmental issues raised as Fairfax landfill converted to indoor ski resort (WJLA)
- The Reston Multicultural Festival invites participants to “Discover the World” (Fairfaxtime.com)
- Professional Bull Riders to Compete at Fairfax | Culture & Leisure (Fairfaxtime.com)
- A new place of entertainment arrives in Fairfax County (NBC4 Washington)
- “We’ve bled officers”: Fairfax police union says officers need to be paid better (WJLA)
- George Mason University: Low number of Mason’s COVID cases leads to revised surveillance testing strategy (Office of Press Releases)
- Shake Shack prepares plans for Mosaic District (Journalist Tyson)
- Fairfax County Public Schools: Fairfax County SAT Results Remain Strong Despite Pandemic Testing Challenges (Press Release Office)
- Fairfax County Public Schools: Students from 16 FCPS High Schools Named National Merit Semifinalists (Press Release Office)
- Opening of the Celebree School franchise in Tysons (Journalist Tyson)
- Weekend metro closure will affect NoVA Orange and Silver Line passengers (Vienna patch)
Today’s Vienna Daily is brought to you by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To find out how 5G will change the lives of you and your community – and gain access to this amazing technology – Click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Vienna!
Today in Vienna:
Vienna patch notebook
- Wolf trap: “Three amazing female performers, one amazing night of music – @indigogirlsmusic and @anidifranco wowed audiences with their mix of folk, rock and pop! #WolfTrap #TheIndigoGirls #AniDiFranco” (Instagram)
- Wolf trap: “Happy first day of fall! 🍁 Photo credit: @ wolftrapNPS #WolfTrap #FindYourPark #Fall #Autumn #HelloFall #FallLeaves #SweaterWeather #WashingtonDC #LoveVA” (Instagram)
- Vienna Woods Swimming and Tennis Club: “Before I say goodbye totally to summer 2021, I have to say thank you and goodbye to Tatiana Swinnerton. Tatiana has been an integral part of our staff for six years and is perhaps the lifeguard with the most save of all. time ….” (Facebook)
- Wolf trap: “Celebrate #HispanicHeritageMonth by discovering a new artist! Latin Grammy Award winner Nella is coming to The Barns at Wolf Trap this winter for an amazing evening of Spanish music. Hear her angelic voice + get your tickets for the … “(Instagram)
- City of Vienna, VA – Government: “Over 150 volunteers were recognized for their volunteerism last night at the Mayor’s Hometown Heroes Recognition Program on Town Green. The winners included individuals and large community groups who dedicated countless hours to the cause. .. “(Facebook)
- Wolf trap: “Discover a world of music at The Barns with Kayhan Kalhor, Masters of Hawaiian Music, Enter The Haggis, International Guitar Night, Nella, and more! 🎶 🌎 🐺 Link in the bio to discover the lineup. #WolfTrap # KayhanKalhor #Masters … “(Instagram)
- ArtsFairfax: “As we continue to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month, this week’s ArtsFairfax spotlight celebrating the achievements and contributions of Fairfax County’s Hispanics and Latinxes goes to Begoña Morton✨ About: Begoña Morton …” (Instagram)
- Alliance Against Colorectal Cancer: “The Alliance’s 2019 research grant from Dr. Hitchins gave her the scientific advancements she needed to prove her concept and compete for federal funding to develop a new screening test! It’s a big deal because new screening guidelines until … “(Facebook)
- Marshall Road Primary School PTA: “Thank you to everyone who attended our back-to-school picnic! We were very happy to see so many families, teachers and community members. Special thanks to Vienna City Police, Police Chief Morris, Officer Juan Vazquez, City Mayor Linda. .. “(Facebook)
- Wolf trap: “Great night with @theavettbrothers. We start again tomorrow! #TheAvettBrothers #WolfTrap” (Instagram)
- Vienna Woods Swimming and Tennis Club: “Link with lifeguards off season… notice basketball players wearing their guard suits 😂🥰. Vienna Woods proves once again that these kids make lifelong friendships! “(Facebook)
- Northern Virginia Shepherd Center: “..” (Facebook)
- ArtsFairfax: “Are you an event planner? ArtsFairfax invites emergency responders and event planners to a 2-day workshop on how to safely present large programs, festivals or mass gatherings. Both events are free, but registration is required and … “(Instagram)
- Management concepts: “Missed the event? Read the ‘Empowered Leadership at the AAFEA, Inc. Leadership Development Workshop’ recap on our blog. Https://blogs.managementconcepts.com/2021/09/23/empowered-leadership-at- the-aafea-leadership-development-workshop / “(Facebook)
- Marshall Road Primary School PTA: “🎈 One more week in the SEPTEMBER MEMBERSHIP COLLECTION !! 🎈 Join the PTA in September and participate in a raffle to win an MRES cap! Register here: https: //marshallroadpta.member … An annual membership is $ 15 for a … “(Facebook)
- Tyson: “Just announced! Adult (18+) Learn to Ride 🚴♀️ 🚴 class Sunday October 10 at 10:00 am at #Tysons Corner Center. Cost is $ 10 for people who live and / or work in the county from Fairfax. Bike and helmet rental provided for each participant. Access … “(Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
Concerts and services:
Please follow and stay informed. I’ll see you next week! If you like these newsletters, consider bringing friends and neighbors with you. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Emily leayman
About Me: Emily Leayman is your local patch editor for Alexandria, Falls Church, and parts of Fairfax County, Virginia. Prior to joining Patch, she reported on local and national news in Washington, DC and Pennsylvania. Originally from Allentown, Pennsylvania, she lives in Falls Church. In her spare time, she volunteers with a rescue dog, watches hockey, and hangs out at local cafes. Contact Emily with story ideas at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @emilyleayman.
Do you have a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Vienna Daily? You can email me at [email protected]